Thursday, February 23, 2012

Romans: The Divine Exchange

"For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement." (Romans 5:6-11)

I think a little Greek word study would be helpful.

Without strength: (asthenes) weak, infirm, feeble, impotent, powerless

Ungodly: (asebes) people destitute of reverential awe towards God, condemning God, impious

Righteous Man: (dikaios) him whose way of thinking, feeling, and acting is wholly conformed to the will of God, approved or acceptable of God

Good Man: (agathos) him who is good, pleasant, agreeable, joyful, happy, of a good constitution or nature

Love: (agape) good will, benevolence, affection

Sinners: (hamartolos) devoted to sin, wicked

Justified: (dikaioo) rendered righteous, to declare, prounounce, one to be just, righteous or such as he ought to be.

Reconciled: (katallasso) returned to favour with.

Enemies: (echthros) hostile, hating, and opposing another

Saved: (sozo) to keep safe and sound, to rescue from danger or destruction, to deliver from the penalties of the Messianic judgment, to save from the evils which obstruct the reception of the Messianic deliverance

Wrath: (orge) indignation, anger exhibited in punishment, as inflicted by magistrates

Joy: (kauchaomai) rejoice, make boast of, glory in

Atonement: (katallage) exchange, adjustment of a difference, reconciliation

Now, using some of the definitions from our word study, let's paraphrase Paul's statements, in a sense making our own amplified version, only let's make use of the personal pronoun "I" whenever possible, instead of "we"….it's so easy for us to assign responsibility to anyone other than ourselves if given half a chance:

"Jesus Christ died for me even while I was condemning HIM by my thoughts, feelings and actions, because I was too feeble and impotent to be anything else other than completely destitute of reverential awe toward God. In this world, it is rare for a person to die for someone whose way of thinking, feeling, and acting is wholly conformed to the will of God, yet occasionally someone will give his life for a man who is pleasant and of a good nature. But God proved and established his good will, affection and benevolence towards me in that, while I was still wicked and devoted to my condemnation of God, He gave His son, Jesus Christ to die for me. Thus, through the blood of Jesus Christ shed for me, I have not only been declared righteous, declared to be one whose way of thinking, feeling, and acting is wholly conformed to the will of God, and am therefore approved and acceptable of God; but I have also been amazingly rescued from the punishment of an angry and indignant God that had been reserved specifically for me, all because of Jesus' death for me. And if the death of Jesus Christ was able to return me to a position of favour with God even while I was hating God, and in much hostility opposing Him by my thoughts, feelings and actions; how much more then, now that I am in favour with God, I am able to count on the resurrected life of Jesus Christ to keep me safe and sound. And most important of all, I rejoice and even boast about my relationship with God made possible through my Lord Jesus Christ, through whom I have now received such a divine exchange:

Jesus Christ took my place before a rightfully angry and indignant God, bearing my punishment of His wrath, and in exchange gave me His place of righteousness and blessed favour with God."

Wow! If I am grateful for that, I will "boast about" what Jesus did for me to the whole world. I will not be ashamed of the Good News of Jesus Christ.

How about you?


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is hard at times to really understand why God would care for a people who turn their backs on Him, and give over His only child for us. Much less think someone like me is worthy of being saved. I am not ashamed of the Good News, just of how unworthy I am to receive it. A gift from God that I can never repay. And I know that is the whole idea of God's plan, for if we could pay Him for it, it would not be a gift. I rejoice in His love for us, in His love for me.