Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Why God Chose Prayer

Gregory A. Boyd is pastor of Woodland Hills Church near St. Paul, Minnesota and is one of my favorite authors, having written several of the books that are currently on my bookshelf: God at War, The Bible and Spiritual Conflict, 1997; Is God to Blame? Beyond Pat Answers to the Problem of Suffering, 2003; The Myth of a Christian Nation, How the Quest for Political Power is Destroying the Church, 2006; The Myth of a Christian Religion, Losing Your Religion for the Beauty of a Revolution, 2009).

The following are various excerpts from pages 232-234 of one other of his books - a very large and immensely helpful book entitled Satan and the Problem of Evil, Constructing a Trinitarian Warfare Theodicy, written in 2001 and published by InterVarsity Press:

“Furthermore, just as our freedom to effect things physically is irrevocable, so we may conclude that the power to effect things in prayer is also irrevocable.  Prayer is part of the general covenant of freedom that the Lord grants us, and He genuinely binds himself to it.  Scripture does not shy away from speaking of God sometimes needing humans to accomplish certain feats (Judges 5:23). Hence, we may understand that, by his own choice, God genuinely needs us to pray for certain things if they are to be accomplished, just as we may understand that God needs us to cooperate with him on a physical level for certain things to be accomplished….
…Wink captures the genuine urgency of prayer well as he comments on the fascinating narrative of prayer and spiritual conflict found in Daniel 10:

The point here seems to be that Daniel’s intercessions have made possible the intervention of God.  Prayer changes us, but it also changes what is possible for God.  Daniel’s cry was heard on the first day; it opened an aperture for God to act in concert with human freedom.  It inaugurated war in heaven.34
…Wink also writes, “If we are to take the biblical understanding seriously at all, intercession….changes the world and it changes what is possible to God.”35

…In my estimation, this empowering understanding of prayer makes the best sense out of the urgency with which Scripture commands us to pray.  God could have created the world differently, of course.  He could have created a world in which he did not need prayer, or any creaturely free decisions, to carry out his will.  If God needs anything, it is because he chooses to.  In my view, this is what God has done.  He chose to create a somewhat risky world in which some things genuinely hinge on what free agents do, both physically and through the power of prayer.”
Mr. Boyd goes on to give three reasons why God chose prayer to carry out his will here on earth: 

The first he labels “Personal Relationships and Empowerment” by which God empowers us to have “say-so” as a necessary tool for “morally responsible personhood” in which Boyd states that “every true interpersonal relationship requires that the parties involved be genuinely empowered over and against one another.  Where one party is wholly divested of power in relationship to the other, the dominated person becomes depersonalized. By definition, the relationship becomes impersonal rather than interpersonal. This is true of our personal relationship with God as it is with any other human.  Though we are to be unequivocally under God’s lordship, this lordship is a lordship of love that seeks to strengthen, not destroy, the personhood of the other. God thus seeks not only to influence us but also to empower us to the extent that we can influence him. Prayer is a central aspect of this realm of influence.  It preserves our personhood over and against our omnipotent Creator.”
The second reason that God chose prayer to carry out his will, according to Boyd, is for “Communication and Personal Relationships” encouraging us to “maintain consistently and even pursue more passionately our personal relationship with our Creator, and this constitutes a second possible reason why God ordained that he be significantly influenced by prayer.  The essence of any interpersonal relationship is mutually influential communication, and thus…by genuinely making things depend on whether or not we pray, God builds the necessity of a God-human communication relationship into the very structure of creation.”

And finally, God chose prayer to be “The Power of God’s Vice-regents….the very purpose for which we exist on this earth. God wants us to participate in his unending, unsurpassable triune love and to mediate this love to the segment of the cosmos under our jurisdiction….in a word, he wants his bride to reign with him on the earth (2 Timothy 2:12; Rev. 5:10; 20:6). This was his goal from the start (Genesis 1:26-27), and it will finally be accomplished in the eschaton.  In this light we may say that prayer is an essential aspect of our coreigning with God.  God wants his will carried out on earth, but he wants it carried out in cooperation with us.  Consequently, he orchestrates things such that his will is not carried out unless we are in communication with him on it.  To use an illustration from Paul Billheimer, God’s will is like a business check that must be cosigned in order to be validated.  We the church are the cosigning party, and prayer is our signing. Hence the essence of prayer is, as Jesus taught, to align our will with the Father’s will – to cosign his will, as it were – so that his rule is established “on earth as it is in heaven” (Matthew 6:10). In prayer we begin our eternal job of mediating the Father’s will and reigning with Christ on the earth.”

34 Walter Wink, Unmasking the Powers; The invisible Forces That Determine Human Existence (Philadelphia: Fortress, 1986) , p. 91.
35Wink, Engaging the Powers, p. 302.

I found the above texts to be some of the most helpful in moving me towards a more powerful understanding of why we pray.  I study often, I read the Word often, I pray often…but I never do any of these things as much, or even as effectively, as I believe I could.  I have always, I believe, regarded prayer as something I ought to do, and that I sometimes find difficult to do, partly by reason of not yet having sufficient knowledge or understanding of the mechanics of it. 
I relate it to a doctor telling me I need to stop (or start) a certain activity for the betterment of my health. If he just leaves it at that, without any explanation of what effect that activity might be having on my health, I most likely will not give it the importance that he, with his knowledge, understands it to be.  Knowledge is vital to us. The Bible tells us that knowledge (scriptural knowledge) is essential.

There is so much more to Boyd’s book than just these passages on prayer; subjects such as the Warfare Worldview of the Bile and the Early Church; Free Will and the Origin of Evil; Divine Foreknowledge and the Trinitarian Warfare Worldview; Issues Surrounding the Foreknowledge of God and the Openness of the Future; Risk and the Sovereignty of God; The Irrevocability and the Finitude of Freedom; Miracles, Prayer and the Arbitrariness of Life; Eternal Suffering; Hell; The Victory of God.
But these passages on prayer, in particular, have given me a new and better understanding of why I should pray. All three of the reasons stated were refreshing to me in my prayer life, yet, specifically, the third reason given above had the most impact on me as I have recently been very compelled to understand in greater depth what it means to be “the bride of Christ” having recently become “husbandless” after 23 years of marriage and having spent a few months grieving over the loss of not only my relationship and all it entailed, but also grieving over the loss of my identity as “wife.”  Thankfully the Lord helped me find my identity again, in Christ where it was all along, as He reminded me that I was HIS bride and that this divine relationship would never be at risk of ending, on that I was guaranteed with an eternal promise.

It is very clear to me that Paul greatly understood the significance of prayer and why he often said he was praying “always” and “unceasingly” for the church.  The disciples understood it as well, when they gathered together in prayer, knowing that just as a large group of people is sometimes needed to remove large physical obstacles that just one person alone could not move, so can a large group of pray-ers more effectively and more quickly move large spiritual obstacles. [This analogy was provided in this book as well.]
In both cases, Paul and the disciples truly understood that they had been made co-heirs with Christ and co-regents over that domain which Christ had returned to them by his death and resurrection: earth and all who are on it.

Without a doubt, they understood clearly both the purpose and the power of prayer and why God chose to use it to effect His will here on earth…through us…the bride of Christ…a most personal and intimate relationship where there need never be a lack of communication with each other, and where, truly, each can know what the other is thinking at all times.  What a wonderful and perfect marriage it has the potential of being…if only we, the church, would pray!  Always and unceasingly…

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This read was not an easy one and made me not rush through my morning devotion as I often do. Truly there was meat from God's word and the use of the books were beneficial. I want to read them and wrote down their titles. Praying to thin air is difficult. I know God hears me, but how can He keep up with us all? Of course He can. I wish my prayers could be replaced with a face to face conversation of which always has me on my face before God. Jesus often tempers this scene as I picture his hand on my head and gently leads me. I enjoyed this post and am glad and grateful for your testimony. I do not understand relationship challenges or a myriad of other faults on this earth, but more and more I long for Christ's return or my going home. In the meantime, the greatest thing for us as believers is to stay close. MDW

Janna said...

I am glad you didn't rush through it...I couldn't even rush through it...I myself am still reading over and over the passages on prayer from this book, trying to truly grasp it deep within my spirit..and there is more to come in the next posting concerning my particular problem (and yours as well it seems)...what I call the mechanics of praying. It is a struggle for most of us, yet I know there are some who have pushed past this struggle onto a different level of relationship with the Lord. I long to be there! And I thank the Lord for fellow believers, without those close to me here, I would have sunk into self-pity many times over. The Lord knew we would need not only Him, but each other to endure to the end...thank you for taking the time to read and to comment.

Anonymous said...

This posting got me to thinking about prayer in general. I began to think about the reasons why we should pray. Many reasons come to mind: God’s calling to us to pray, it is a way we communicate to our Heavenly Father, Pray empowers God’s Children and assists in keeping us mindful of what we are (creation) and what God is (creator) - - keeping us humble before the Lord.

So, using the internet, I quarried “Pray and why it’s necessary?” Once of the first posting is once from Focus on the Family.

http://www.focusonthefamily.com/faith/faith_in_life/prayer/prayer_has_its_reasons.aspx

This article by Robert Velarde is full of information, giving reasons why and providing bible verses to support each area. The article is a length one, and a good read. Here are the key reasons he lists for pray:

1. God’s Word Calls Us to Pray
2. Jesus Prayed Regularly (thus providing us an example)
3. Prayer is how we communicate with God
4. Prayer allows us to participate in God’s Work (found this very interesting)
5. Prayer gives us power over evil
6. Prayer is always available
7. Prayer keeps us humble before God
8. Prayer grants us the privilege of experiencing God
9. Answered prayer is a potential witness
10. Prayer strengthens the bonds between believers
11. Prayer can succeed where other means have failed
12. Prayer fulfills emotional needs

I agree with another reader’s comment….there are many times I wish I could see God face to face. But, I am reminded of Romans 1:19,20 “What may be known of God is manifest in them for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.” God is in everything - - “When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon the stars that you have established; what are human beings that you are mindful of the, mortals that you care for them.” Psalm 8: 3,4.

Good to see you posting again. You have been in our thoughts and prayers! GW.

Janna said...

Hi GW! Thank you for the thoughts and prayers...they have been needed and are appreciated. And the link that you provided to Robert Velarde's article on prayer is appreciated too. It is an excellent article, one that I am going to print out and share with some women at jail who are just now learning to pray. It will definitely strengthen them and it gives so much scripture back up. Thank you for sharing that. So, knowing all of this, cerebrally at least, why is it difficult for us to spend even more time in prayer? Is it just cares of the world that distract us (feels like it sometimes!) or is there more to what makes us hesitate rather than RUN towards prayer? Scripture mentions the disciples being in prayer at various times (but not necessarily always). In Acts, Peter is on the roof praying at noon (I believe the sixth hour is at noon)for example...and I think it was the Jewish custom to pray three times a day (at least). But how many of us do that in any normal day? I would like to say that I do, but it just isn't true. I find I study more than I pray except at times when some concern presses in on me or when I am with my church family in group prayer(however, I do, for the most part, give thanks every morning on waking: for the day, for the fact that I can walk and breathe and things I might otherwise take for granted, such as having a roof over my head,and most of all, for Jesus Christ and all that He has done for me.) I long for that desire to pray to grow stronger in me.

Anonymous said...

I desire to so drenched in the Holy Spirit that it will just be part of my every moment I think this is what the disciples had and if they can have it and the word speaks of it I know that it is possible for us also . JR

Janna said...

I believe you are right!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful replies regarding necessary conversation with God. Distractions, good and bad, often keep me from prayer. I have been praying long enough now that I have learned one most important thing. I more often feel better if I read a devotion in order to prepare for prayer which causes me a more meaningful prayer time. Long ago, I heard this and use it to organize my prayers. ACTS: Adoration, Confession, Thanking, and Supplication. I still struggle with wanting to make it SACT. MDW

Anonymous said...

Prayer is all those things. I too, wish I could see God and tell Him many things. I believe there are many in my life, and for every other believer, and those that are lost, who see a close form of God in others. That is when we love as God does in gentleness towards one another. Once I provided gloves to a poor Bolivian man, which was no big price for me, but I will never forget his face of appreciation. Do that more often, to help each other, and we will see God as Jesus also had compassion for us. To extend water or food or to help a believer through tough times is seeing the results of God. MDW

Anonymous said...

Yes, what occurred 2000 years ago is available to us now.MDW