Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Love is Patient, Love is Kind

The NIV states 1 Corinthians 13:4(a) as: "Love is patient, love is kind."

The New KJV states it as: "Love suffers long and is kind."

In fact, in every other translation I could easily get my hands on, the words remain the same: love is patient or suffers long…and in every version love is kind.

Let's look at the word "kind" first.

The original Greek word is "chresteuomai" which means: to show one's self mild.

That brings another scripture to mind: "Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." (Matthew 10:16)

We are to be harmless as doves. I've never seen a dove attack anything. I've seen jays attack cats, and large birds attack small animals of all kinds; but when you think of a dove, you think of a quiet, calm, peaceful bird. Which is most likely why it is often used as a symbol of peace; that, and the fact, that the dove returning to the ark of Noah with a branch in its mouth, indicated that the time of God's wrath upon the perverse inhabitants of earth was finally at an end. The dove is a symbol of love as well, as seen in Solomon's Song of Songs, chapter 5 verse 2:

"I sleep, but my heart waketh: it is the voice of my beloved that knocketh, saying, Open to me, my sister, my love, my dove…"

How many people of your acquaintance would describe your temperament as that of a dove? How many people of your acquaintance feel that they can be around you at any moment and be completely safe as though they were in the presence of only a dove…rather than a screeching hawk eager for the kill?

Yet, wasn't the Holy Spirit which descended upon Jesus described by John the Baptist as: "descending from heaven like a dove"? (John 1:32)

Then again, when the Holy Spirit descended upon the 120 believers gathered together in the Upper Room on the Day of Pentecost, He arrived with the sound of a rushing wind, and appeared as tongues of fire above each person there
(Acts 2:2-3).
But I believe that was because of the giftings imparted that day (and which are available still today to all believers), and the fire was indicative of the power of Holy Spirit that they were all filled with that day.

Still, the style of the Holy Spirit is most recognized as kind, and quiet, and not forcing itself upon anyone; graceful, merciful and filled with wisdom.

Such was the style of Jesus Christ as well…as was quoted in the last posting, He was "power wrapped in love." There never was anything to be feared from Jesus; other than the loss of man's own power and self-pride, of which the Pharisees had much at risk when Jesus was around.

So, how are we then to be to others? How are we to be to those who irritate us with their unbelief; or to those Christians who know what sin is and still find themselves trapped by it…saved, but not set free? How are we to love them?

What about the word "patient"?

The actual Greek word translated either as patient or as long-suffering is "makrothymeo." Here are the various definitions ascribed to that word:

  1. To be of a long spirit, not to lose heart
    1. To persevere patiently and bravely in enduring misfortunes and troubles
    2. To be patient in bearing the offenses and injuries of others
      1. To be mild and slow in avenging
      2. To be longsuffering, slow to anger, slow to punish

Ok…so now for the test!

Think of someone in your life who irritates you greatly or has offended you or someone you love…it could be a spouse, a young child, a grown child, a brother or sister in the Lord, a biological brother or sister, a parent, a grand-parent, a friend, a co-worker, a neighbor.

Now ask yourself these questions: Have I lost heart with this person? Am I persevering patiently as I wait for the Lord to make His changes in them? Do I avenge myself with this person even when I speak biblically-correct words, yet speak those words, God's Word, in anger or frustration or hatred or unforgiveness? Do I long to see them get their come-uppance? After I have spent time in the presence of this person, do they walk away from me feeling that they have just experienced love and kindness from a mild-mannered and harmless friend, as though from a loving God? Or do they walk away, hurt and wounded, condemned by yet one more person who sees only that they are sinning, not why they are sinning, or how deeply they have been hurt in the past that might not be healed within them; but are anxious to see them get right with God at all costs…even if patience and kindness are abandoned in the process. Are we trusting God's hand in this person's life, or are we anxious to get things going whether it is in God's timing or not?

OR…

Do I pray for them unceasingly? Do I love them as much as I love myself? Am I treating them as well as I treat myself? Do I continue to hope that things will change in them rather than giving up on them? How do I bear the offenses, whether small or great, that come my way via this person while I continue to pray for them? When was the last time I did something kind for them with no motive other than to show kindness?

We ARE to speak the truth about God's Word, we must not compromise that, but it MUST be done in love, with all the attributes of love on display, with the proper motive of love, or we are abusing God's word and using it for our vengeance.

We all have someone, if not many someones, in our life that hasn't seen the "dove" side of us nearly as often as we would hope. In all opportunities where the hawk comes out instead of the dove, we have lost one more opportunity to point them towards Jesus.

But what a change they will see, if we can begin today to love them with patience and kindness. And what a change we might see in them as a result…once they get over their shock, that is!


 


 


 


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a person in my life that is as you describe and boy is this a difficult posting to process. With my conversations with this person, they all start out with me thinking as a dove and then of course this individual says something that brings out the hawk in me. I do pray for this person, but realize that I could pray more. The situation this person finds themselves in makes it more difficult. They are though seeking God's direction and that is a start. I ask for prayers for this person and myself as I need to speak to them more as a dove and not a hawk. GW