Friday, March 1, 2013

The Disobedience-Weakened Church

"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:

These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation.  I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot.  I wish you were either one or the other!  So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.  I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.  Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline.  So be earnest and repent.  Here I am!  I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.  To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne.  Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches." (Reveleation 3:14-22 NIV)

Much has been said by preachers and teachers of the Word regarding the possibility that the church of Laodicea reflects not only an actual gathering of believers in Laodicea at the time of the disciple John who was given this vision, but is also on another level prophetically referring to a group of people existing today.  The question is: who exactly?

If not read carefully, it could be easy to read this passage of scripture and assign it to much of North America, Europe, and even Asia, for the nations of these two continents have enjoyed increased wealth in much of the century just past and still today, and as a whole have come to trust upon their own resources, both personally and as a nation, more than they trust in the Lord.

We could also, if not careful, easily assign this passage of scripture to unbelievers, for unbelievers do not think that they have need of the Lord or they would have turned to Him and become believers already. 

But it is abundantly clear that this passage, sadly, speaks only of the church: that group of people who have been called out, set apart, to be holy as the Lord is holy..

And it is abundantly clear as well that there is indeed something to be repented of; and that it is something so great that it has turned people who should have been blessed of the Lord (being His children) into what appears instead to be poor homeless people: wretched, pitiful, blind, naked.

And not just homeless, but insane as well, as these homeless people are seen boasting about their talents and abilities in acquiring the "wealth" which has made them, in the reality with which the Lord sees them, to be wretched, and pitiful, and blind, and naked.

Does a church that is obedient to the Lord need to repent?  No.

But a church that is walking in disobedience does.

Thus, I plan to devote the next few postings to a biblical study of obedience versus disobedience, truth versus lies, politically-correct theology versus biblical instructions straight from the heart of God supplied to us by His Word.

And, due to recent experiences in my own life, I want to begin this study of obedience to the Word of God with that which pertains to marriage, including today's tendencies to ignore or neglect those passages of scripture within the Word of God that pertain to re-marriage; for our churches are filled with folks who have been re-married, some having been remarried in accordance with the Word, others, even though they were Christians at the time, having done so in direct disobedience to the Word.

Is the remedy to blatant disobedience a simple, "Sorry, Lord" and continue on as is? (Why am I reminded of Bonhoffer's term: cheap grace?)

 Or is there more that the Lord expects from His separate, called out, living in holiness church?  And if so, what?

That is what I want to dig into the Word for, to fully understand; for I believe that the church has been too complacent about disobedience for too long and the result is a weakened church.

And until we face the truth of God's Word in regards to our own actions, we, the church that the Lord is rebuking and disciplining today and calling to repentance, will remain wretched, pitiful, blind and naked, while continuing to believe (contrary to reality) that we are displaying the glory of a very Holy God to a world in sin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ready to dig into these truths. GW

Janna said...

Good, GW! Because this is going to require discussion, sharing of what the Lord is telling each of us through His Word. Glad you're here! I pray that the Lord will lead others here to enter into this study and discussion. I believe the Bereans were so successful in discerning the truth because there were many of them searching for it together, rather than just one alone. I believe they had great discussions, open and honest discussions as well, without fear of reproach from one another as they all knew that they wanted only more knowledge of their Lord God Almighty, Together as believers seeking diligently for the truth, I trust that the Lord will help us in our goals and provide that which we ask for.

Anonymous said...

Great to see you back. It is the doing that is the hardest. Knowing and agreeing on the above is easy. Cheap grace is an old term I have not heard in some time, and exists way too much. This knowledge you are about to provide practical for life's daily application. Thank you. MDW